CANSail Instructor Training Clinics are scheduled and delivered by Provincial Sailing Associations. Please contact your PSA regarding clinic schedules, locations, and registration.
- Instructors & Coaches
- CANSail Dinghy Instructor
- CANSail Windsurf Instructor
- Development Coaches
- Learning Facilitators
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP)
- Keelboat & Cruising Instructor
- Power Instructor
- Navigation Instructor
- PCOC Instructor
- ROC(M) Instructors
- Find an Instructor/Coach
- Mental Health Resources
- Disciplinary Hearings & Actions
Prerequisites for the Windsurfing Instructor Clinics:
- Must be 16 years of age in the calendar year of the clinic
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC)
- Standard First Aid & CPR (Standard First Aid & CPR) issued by a nationally recognized first aid provider
- Sail Canada Boat Safety Course (*ONLY IF YOU ARE USING A COACH BOAT TO INSTRUCT, still recommended)
- CANSail Fundamental Course
- Enhanced Police Information Check (not required for instructors under the age of 18)
- Safe Sport Training
Safe Sport Training
Starting in 2021, CANSail Instructors & Coaches are required to complete Safe Sport Training as part of their certification (Safe Sport Training will be accepted for 5 years from the date of completion).
There are two Safe Sport Training Modules that Sail Canada can accept:
- Coaching Association of Canada (CAC) Safe Sport Module – This training is free for everyone. Please report completion to Sail Canada via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Respect in Sport Training – Access through your Sail Canada Profile. There is a $30 charge for this training. A record of this module will be added to your Sail Canada profile automatically.
Criminal Background Check
On December 3rd, 2018 it was announced that CANSail Instructors & Coaches will be required to complete an Enhanced Police Information Check (EPIC) in order to register with Sail Canada starting January 1st, 2019. Not required for instructors under the age of 18.
Accepted forms and requirements for submitting to Sail Canada:
- Valid Nexus card – Submit a scan or photo to email@example.com
- Your local police station or preferred provider – Submit a scan or photo to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Sail Canada recognized provider Sterling Backcheck – when completed through Sterling Backcheck, the outcome can be directed to Sail Canada automatically.
Make Ethical Decisions – Online Evaluation
All CANSail Instructors & Coaches who have completed the CANSail Fundamental Course are required to complete the Make Ethical Decisions online evaluation by logging into their Locker Profile. Please note that CANSail Windsurf Instructors must complete the Instruction stream.
CANSail Instructor & Coach Recertification
Recertification for all CANSail Instructors & Coaches must be completed through a provincial sailing association. To review the updated Recertification Policy, please click here. The certification period for CANSail Instructors and Coaches is 36-months to the end of the calendar year. For example if you completed your clinic in May 2011, your level would expire December 31st, 2014. LF / MLF Recertification Policy
Please click here for more information regarding Sail Canada Instructor liability insurance.