CANSail Development Coach Program is designed for coaches working with race programs at the club, regional or provincial level that extend through 4 or more months of the year.
Competition Development Course Information
The next Competition Development Course is set to be held in spring 2023.
Applications to the Competition Development Program will be submitted to the Sail Canada office (email@example.com) and will be reviewed by your PSA and the Sail Canada Development Coach Course Panel.
All Candidate Applications must include:
- CANSAIL DEVELOPMENT COACH APPLICATION FORM
- SAILING CV – INCLUDING PROOF OF COMPETENCY IN RELEVANT RACING EXPERIENCE (TYPICALLY AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL OR HIGHER CHAMPIONSHIPS AS RECOGNIZED BY AN MNA OR WORLD SAILING). A PREFERENCE EXISTS FOR CANDIDATES WHO HAVE CAMPAIGNED IN A WORLD-SAILING–RECOGNIZED CLASS.
- LETTER OF INTENT – FROM THE CANDIDATE EXPLAINING WHY THEY WOULD LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE COURSE, WHAT THEY WILL DO WITH THEIR DCP TRAINING IN THE UPCOMING YEAR, AND WHAT PREPARATION THEY ARE CURRENTLY TAKING TO GET PREPARED FOR THE COURSE (I.E. PCOC, COACHING ALONGSIDE AN EXISTING QUALIFIED COACH).
- REFERENCE LETTERS – MINIMUM OF ONE (FROM A PREVIOUS COACH AT OR ABOVE THE DCP LEVEL)
- ENDORSEMENT LETTER FROM PSA & / OR REGIONAL TRAINING CENTRE – LETTER(S) TO INCLUDE AN EXPLANATION OF WHY THE CANDIDATE HAS BEEN ENDORSED.
Please review theEligibility Criteriaclosely before submitting an application.
The Program Offers:
- TRAINING AND MENTORING TO IN STILL HAVE CONFIDENCE AND EFFECTIVENESS IN COACHING CANDIDATES WITH EXPERIENCED FULL-TIME COACHES AS PART OF THE PROGRAM.
- EMPHASIS ON PRACTICAL ON-WATER COACHING AT THE TRAINING CLINIC.
- PLACES IMPORTANCE ON SPORTS SCIENCE ELEMENTS OF FITNESS, NUTRITION, AND SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY.
- FINAL EVALUATIONS WERE CARRIED OUT ON RACECOURSES AND AT TRAINING CAMPS.
- ACCREDITATION AS A SAIL CANADA COACH AND WITH THE COACHING ASSOCIATION OF CANADA IN THE NCCP COMPETITION DEVELOPMENT CONTEXT (WITH SUCCESSFUL EVALUATION).
- PREPARATION AND PREREQUISITE ACHIEVEMENT FOR SAILING COACHES TO ADVANCE AND ENTER INTO CANADA’S NATIONAL COACHING INSTITUTE (NCI).
Development Coach Program Candidates Will Have:
- PREVIOUS SAIL-RACING EXPERIENCE (PREFERENCE FOR HAVING CAMPAIGNED A WORLD SAILING-RECOGNIZED CLASS)
- A GENUINE INTEREST IN BECOMING AND/OR DEVELOPING PERSONALLY AND PROFESSIONALLY AS A COACH
- EXPERIENCE AS A HIGH-LEVEL SAILOR OR COACH WITH RACE TEAM PROGRAMS
- VALID BACKGROUND EPIC CHECK
- COMPLETED CAC MULTI-SPORT MODULES (6)
- PCOC CARD
- FIRST AID & CPR
- SAFE SPORT TRAINING
Full information on the pathway through Coach Training, Certification, and Re-certification isavailable here.
CALL FOR COURSE CONDUCTORS – COMPETITION DEVELOPMENT COACH CLINIC 2022
Sail Canada is accepting applications for course conductors for the Competition Development Clinic.
Interested Learning Facilitators and Subject Matter Experts are encouraged to apply by filling outthis applicationas well as emailing a cover letter and a sailing resume to Sail Canada (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 15, 2022.
The cover letter must include:
Your unique qualifications, experience, and area(s) of expertise are relevant to the Comp Dev Clinic.
Sailing resume must include:
Instructing and coaching experience, sailing experience, current qualifications, and LF / MLF experience, or experience related to a specific subject matter.
Send submit cover letters and sailing resumes to:email@example.com
Course conductors will be selected based on qualifications, experience, and CANSail program knowledge; as well as region, in order to provide regional representation (East, Central & West) amongst the leadership team for the clinic.
- MAKING ETHICAL DECISIONS EVALUATION MODULE
- MANAGE CONFLICT
- LEADING DRUG-FREE SPORT
FIND NCCP ONLINE EVALUATION MODULES
SAIL CANADA INSTRUCTOR LIABILITY INSURANCE POLICY INFORMATION
The CANSail Development Coach Program has been developed by Sail Canada in partnership with the Coaching Association of Canada.