- Instructors & Coaches
- CANSail Dinghy Instructor
- CANSail Windsurf Instructor
- Development Coaches
- Learning Facilitators
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP)
- Keelboat & Cruising Instructor
- Power Instructor
- Navigation Instructor
- PCOC Instructor
- ROC(M) Instructors
- Find an Instructor/Coach
- Mental Health Resources
- Disciplinary Hearings & Actions
CANSail Development Coach Program is designed for coaches working with race programs at the club, regional or provincial level that extend through 4 or more months of the year.
Competition Development Course Information
The next Competition Development Course is set to be held spring 2023.
Applications to the Competition Development Program will be submitted to the Sail Canada office (email@example.com) and will be reviewed by your PSA and the Sail Canada Development Coach Course Panel.
All Candidate Applications must include:
- CANSail Development Coach Application Form
- Sailing CV – including proof of competency in relevant racing experience (typically at national level or higher championships as recognized by an MNA or World Sailing). A preference exists for candidates who have campaigned in a World Sailing – recognized class.
- Letter of Intent – from the candidate explaining why they would like to be considered for the course, what they will do with their DCP training in the upcoming year, and what preparation they are currently taking to get prepared for the course (i.e. PCOC, coaching alongside an existing qualified coach).
- Reference Letters – Minimum of one (from a previous coach at or above the DCP level)
- Endorsement Letter from PSA & / or Regional Training Centre – Letter(s) to include an explanation of why the candidate has been endorsed.
Please review the Eligibility Criteria closely before submitting an application.
The Program Offers:
- Training and mentoring to in still confidence and effectiveness in coach candidates with experienced Full Time coaches as part of the program.
- Emphasis on practical on-water coaching at the training clinic.
- Places importance on sport science elements of fitness, nutrition, and sports psychology.
- Final evaluations carried out on racecourses and at training camps.
- Accreditation as a Sail Canada Coach and with the Coaching Association of Canada in the NCCP Competition Development Context (with successful evaluation).
- Preparation and prerequisite achievement for Sailing Coaches to advance and enter into Canada’s National Coaching Institute (NCI).
Development Coach Program Candidates Will Have:
- Previous sail-racing experience (preference for having campaigned a World Sailing-recognized class)
- A genuine interested in becoming and/or developing personally and professionally as a coach
- Experience as a high-level sailor or coach with Race Team programs
- Valid background EPIC check
- Completed CAC Multi Sport Modules (6)
- PCOC card
- First Aid & CPR
- Safe Sport Training
Full information on the pathway through Coach Training, Certification and Re-certification is available here.
Call for Course Conductors – Competition Development Coach Clinic 2022
Sail Canada is accepting applications for course conductors for the Competition Development Clinic.
Interested Learning Facilitators and Subject Matter Experts are encouraged to apply by filling out this application as well as emailing a cover letter and a sailing resume to Sail Canada (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 15, 2022.
Cover letter must include:
Your unique qualifications, experience and area(s) of expertise relevant to the Comp Dev Clinic.
Sailing resume must include:
Instructing and coaching experience, sailing experience, current qualifications and LF / MLF experience, or experience related to a specific subject matter.
Send submit cover letters and sailing resumes to: email@example.com
Course conductors will be selected based on qualifications, experience and CANSail program knowledge; as well as region, in order to provide regional representation (East, Central & West) amongst the leadership team for the clinic.
- Making Ethical Decisions Evaluation Module
- Manage Conflict
- Leading Drug-Free Sport
Code of Conduct
The CANSail Development Coach Program has been developed by Sail Canada in partnership with the Coaching Association of Canada.