- Instructors & Coaches
- CANSail Dinghy Instructor
- CANSail Windsurf Instructor
- Development Coaches
- Learning Facilitators
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP)
- Keelboat & Cruising Instructor
- Power Instructor
- Navigation Instructor
- PCOC Instructor
- ROC(M) Instructors
- Find an Instructor/Coach
- Mental Health Resources
- Disciplinary Hearings & Actions
CANSail Development Coach Program is designed for coaches working with race programs at the club, regional or provincial level that extend through 4 or more months of the year.
Competition Development Coach Candidates – 2021 Call for Applications
Sail Canada is currently seeking applications from qualified coaches who are interested in participating in a Competition Development Coach Course in 2021.
Due to Covid, the 2021 clinic will be formatted a little differently than typical years and the reviewed material will be piloted at this clinic.
The course will include one online module per month starting June 2021 – November 2021. Online modules will include assignments and breakout sessions that will cover skills such as error detection and running a practice. Coaches may be asked to film a training session, brief or debrief and review during an online session.
Coaches interested in taking part in the Competition Development Course will need to complete the application outlined below and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 18th
- Applications to the Competition Development Program will be submitted to the Sail Canada office (email@example.com) and will be reviewed by your PSA and the Sail Canada Development Coach Course Panel.
- All Candidate Applications must include:
- CANSail Development Coach Application Form
- Sailing CV – including proof of competency in relevant racing experience (typically at national level or higher championships as recognized by an MNA or World Sailing). A preference exists for candidates who have campaigned in a World Sailing – recognized class.
- Letter of Intent – from the candidate explaining why they would like to be considered for the course, what they will do with their DCP training in the upcoming year, and what preparation they are currently taking to get prepared for the course (i.e. PCOC, coaching alongside an existing qualified coach).
- Reference Letters – Minimum of one (from a previous coach at or above the DCP level)
- Endorsement Letter from PSA & / or Regional Training Centre – Letter(s) to include an explanation of why the candidate has been endorsed.
Please review the Eligibility Criteria closely before submitting an application.
The program offers:
- Training and mentoring to instill confidence and effectiveness in coach candidates with experienced Full Time coaches as part of the program.
- Emphasis on practical on-water coaching at the training clinic.
- Places importance on sport science elements of fitness, nutrition, and sports psychology.
- Final evaluations carried out on racecourses and at training camps.
- Accreditation as a Sail Canada Coach and with the Coaching Association of Canada in the NCCP Competition Development Context (with successful evaluation).
- Preparation and prerequisite achievement for Sailing Coaches to advance and enter into Canada’s National Coaching Institute (NCI).
Development Coach Program Candidates will have:
- Previous sail-racing experience (preference for having campaigned a World Sailing-recognized class)
- A genuine interested in becoming and/or developing personally and professionally as a coach
- Experience as a high-level sailor or coach with Race Team programs
Full information on the pathway through Coach Training, Certification and Re-certification is available here.
- Making Ethical Decisions Evaluation Module
- Manage Conflict
- Leading Drug-Free Sport
Code of Conduct
The CANSail Development Coach Program has been developed by Sail Canada in partnership with the Coaching Association of Canada.