Official World Sailing website for Paris 2024, including the qualification process >
-ILCA 6 (One Person Dinghy – women)
-ILCA 7 (One Person Dinghy – men)
-49er (Skiff – men)
-49er FX (Skiff – women)
-IQFoil (Windsurfing – women and men)
-Kiteboarding (Kite – women and men)
-Nacra 17 (Multihull – mixed)
-470 (Two Person Dinghy – mixed)
Opportunities to qualify spots
- The first opportunity to earn a spot at the 2024 Olympic Games will be at the 2023 Sailing World Championships, to be held August 10-20 in The Hague, Netherlands. The first boat in each of the Olympic events will secure a spot for their country, except in ILCA 6 and ILCA 7, where the first two boats will be able to do so.
- The second opportunity will be at the continental qualifier, which, for Canada, will be at the 2023 Pan American Games. There, again, the first boat in each of the Olympic events will secure a spot for their country, except in ILCA 6 and ILCA 7, where the first two boats will be able to do so.
- The Last Chance Regatta, in April 2024, will be the next opportunity for countries to grab a spot for Paris 2024;
- except for athletes in ILCA 6 and ILCA 7, where seven athletes in each class will also be able to qualify a spot for their country at their respective World Championships to be held in January 2024.
- Finally, some countries will also be able to secures spots for Paris at a competition called the “Emerging Nations Regatta”. However, Canada is not on the “Emerging Nations” list.
Opportunities for Canadian athletes to qualify
Sail Canada will then select its team for the 2024 Olympic Games based on selection process criterias to be communicated later.
|Classes||Situation for Canada||Current qualification situation|
|ILCA 7 : men|
|ILCA 6 : women|
|49er : men|
|Nacra 17: mixed|