Sail Canada’s Offshore Group monitors and promotes Offshore Racing activities in Canada. Membership is currently Will Apold (NS), Guy Perrin (ON), Richard Hinterhoeller (ON), David Sutcliffe (BC), and Diane Reid (ON). The Offshore group is represented on the World Sailing Oceanic and Offshore and Special Regulations committees.
OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL COURSE
In 2003, ISAF (now World Sailing) introduced a standard basic syllabus for the training of safety courses in order to establish an Internationally recognized qualification. The training requirements form part of the Offshore Special Regulations. These courses are run and established by World Sailing Member National Authorities (MNA) and conform to World Sailing minimum standards. Sail Canada accredits Offshore Personal Survival training organizations and instructors.
Offshore Personal Survival training is suitable for experienced sailors who are participating in the distance and offshore races and passages. The training includes classroom and practical sessions. Topics covered include safety equipment, storm sails, weather forecasts, heavy weather, man overboard, emergency signals, and communications. Practical sessions include inflating and using lifejackets and life rafts in a water environment. Participants who successfully complete the training receive a Sail Canada – World Sailing Approved Offshore Personal Survival training certificate, valid for five years.
SAIL CANADA ACCREDITED OFFSHORE PERSONAL SURVIVAL TRAINING ORGANIZATIONS:
- BC Sailing Association – http://www.bcsailing.bc.ca/safetyatsea.php
- Ontario Sailing – https://ontariosailing.ca/
- Diane Reid Sail Training & Coaching – http://www.onegirlsoceanchallenge.com/?page_id=4299
- Royal Vancouver Yacht Club – http://www.vicmaui.org/opsc-safety-at-sea
- Sea Survival Halifax – http://seasurvival.ca/index.html
- WaveSkills – https://www.waveskills.ca/
- West Vancouver Yacht Club – http://www.wvyc.ca/racing/safety-at-sea
- Voile Quebec – https://voile.qc.ca/index.php/fr/
- Survival Systems Training (Dartmouth, N.S.) – https://www.sstl.com/
PROGRAM RESOURCE DOCUMENTS
Class Facility & Equipment Standards
Training Organization Accreditation and Requirements
Instructor Qualification & Accreditation Requirements