Who needs a PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operator Card)?
If you operate a boat with a motor and use it for recreation, you need a Pleasure Craft Operator Card or another form of proof of competency — something that shows you have a basic understanding of how to operate your boat safely and know what to do in an emergency.

Sail Canada is accredited by Transport Canada to deliver boating safety courses and administer tests for the issuance of Pleasure Craft Operator Cards, including replacement cards, under the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations.

How to get a PCOC
A Sail Canada Certified Pleasure Craft Operator Card Instructor has the best training to teach you all you will need to know to pass the Transport Canada test.

You have three options:

1. Complete Course - The best choice and one that every boating family should take together

2. Refresher Course - For those who have taken boating courses before

3. Challenge Exam - Register for the test in your area

4. Use other Proof of Competency to obtain a card

Where to take a PCOC Course
Click here to find an Instructor
Click here to find a Course

How do I replace my card or order additional cards?
Complete this form and send to sailcanada@sailing.ca. 

  • If you don’t know the card number, include the birth date and the full name of the card holder.
  • Replacement Cards are $21.00 (including HST)
  • Additional cards per order are $10.50 (including HST) each.
  • Use the same form if you are moving, or need a correction made.
  • Use the same form and include a change of name form if your name has changed.

Watch for your replacement card in the mail! It will arrive in a Sail Canada logoed envelope.

It is our belief that a boater who has not received their PCOC would have contacted Sail Canada within a twelve-month period to inquire about the status of the card. The PCOC Replacement Card fee will be levied on individuals with application forms dated prior to twelve (12) months of the request for a PCOC Re-Issue.

What is Proof of Competency?
Proof of competency is required with all motor types (including electric trolling motors) and even when the motor is not in use (such as when sailing).

If you have completed one of the following courses and have documentation, it may be used as proof of competency.

  • Sail Canada Basic Cruising Standard
  • Sail Canada Basic Powerboat Standard
  • Sail Canada Basic Outboard Standard
  • Certificate from a Canadian boating safety course completed before April 1, 1999; including all Sail Canada (formerly Canadian Yachting Association) Cruising and Power Standards

*NEW* For your convenience

Using these certifications, you can order a wallet-sized, water proof, Transport Canada approved Pleasure Craft Operators Card like the one pictured below.



 How do I order my card?
Complete this form and send along with a copy of your certification to sailcanada@sailing.ca.

Note: A paper or electronic copy of a PCOC is NOT acceptable.


For more information on other acceptable proof of competency, please check out Transport Canada's Boating Safety FAQ page.


Sail Canada

Portsmouth Olympic Harbour

53 Yonge Street, Kingston, Ontario Canada K7M 6G4
Tel: (613) 545-3044

Tollfree: 1-877-416-4720

Fax: (613) 545-3045

Email: sailcanada@sailing.ca

The Sail Canada office is open Monday - Friday.

Sail Canada observes national and Ontario provincial statutory holidays.



Click here for PCOC Instructor information