PCOC Instructor News - June 2014
Greetings Sail Canada PCOC Instructors,
Sail Canada is pleased to share with you some important information about the Pleasure Craft Operator Competency program and details of the progress made this year towards renewal and improvement of the Sail Canada Pleasure Craft Operator Competency.
Important PCOC Test Information
Transport Canada issued Boating Safety tests valid for the period beginning January 1, 2014 and ending December 31st 2015 are available for order by Sail Canada registered PCOC Instructors. The passing mark is 38 correct answers out of a possible 50 (>75%). The Transport Canada approved Sail Canada test protocol indicates that a candidate may take up to 75 minutes to write the test.
Please contact Deborah at TruCash; Deborah.Wilson@trucash.com to order the current iteration of the Boating Safety Tests.
With the implementation of new PCOC tests effective January 1, 2014, Transport Canada requires that all expired PCOC tests be destroyed. As of January 1, 2014 all Sail Canada PCOC Instructors are required to destroy any old PCOC tests in their possession. The use of expired tests is not permitted. All Sail Canada PCOC Instructors must be aware of these changes in order to continue offering PCOC Courses & Tests: and must sign and submit an agreement to destroy all old tests if they have not already done so.
Quality Control System
The Transport Canada issued Sail Canada PCOC boating safety tests are not to be electronically copied, transmitted, distributed, shared or posted in any manner to any agent, affiliate, proctor, or any other instructor. Transport Canada has recently introduced additional Quality Control / Quality Management (QMS) requirements that Course providers (Sail Canada) and their agents (examiners and trainers) are required to follow. Compliance with these QMS requirements will become mandatory in October 2014. You will be hearing more specific information on these requirements in the next few months.
Teaching and Testing Administration
Sail Canada's PCOC card fulfillment is administered by TruCa$h Rewards; Deborah Wilson Deborah.Wilson@trucash.com.
In order to examine candidates you will need:
1. Copies of the current tests. The tests are reusable (so long as your students to not write in them). You are prohibited from making copies of the exams and must keep close control of them. There are three versions of the exam so that you can be sure that no candidates sitting next to each other have similar exams. The answer keys are configured so that the correct response answer sequences differ from test to test. The tests are generated by Transport Canada and renewed periodically. If this is the first time ordering this set of tests and you had previous test sets you are required to destroy the prior exams and provide TruCash a completed form attesting to this fact.
2. Temporary licence applications / student answer sheets. These are used by the students to complete the exams and as such these are consumables. Part of this form becomes the temporary licence for students. You will need to ship the marked answer sheet to TruCash in order for TruCash to process and mail the licence to the successful student.
3. Copies of the Answer keys for the test. You just need one copy of each of these. You may want to reformat the answer keys so that the student test answer sheets are simpler to mark.
4. Processing applications for TruCash. One of these forms is submitted with each batch of tests that you send to TruCash.
In order to teach a complete course you need:
5. Copies of an approved textbook. There are a number of providers and you may choose to use any of their texts. Sail Canada has teamed with CPS and you can buy co-branded copies of the CPS "Basic Boating" texts for use with a course from TruCash. A copy of a safe boating guide is not considered by Transport Canada to be a suitable text.
6. Completed tests and application forms are to be sent by mail to TruCash to the attention of Deborah Wilson for processing. PCOC cards will be issued to the successful applicants within 4 weeks of receipt of the completed tests and applications forms at Trucash.
Course Planning and Support Materials Updates
PCOC Instructor Manual
PCOC Instructor Training material has been updated to reflect the changes to learning objectives that Transport Canada introduced a number of years ago. The PCOC instructor training manual manual provides information on presenting training and provides a curriculum plan for delivery of a 12 hour course (including tests).
Approved Text and Graphics
Transport Canada has reworked the phrases and presentation approach to be used in advertising courses when referencing Transport Canada. Sail Canada agents and Instructors may download a copy of this material from the resource section of their Sail Canada Instructor Profile.
PCOC Test Protocol
A revised version of the PCOC Test Protocol has been approved by Transport Canada. Instructors are asked to download and print a copy as the revised test protocol is required to be posted at every test site.
Pleasure Craft Operator Card Study Guide
Sail Canada and the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron partnered to provide a co-branded manual addressing all 256 knowledge requirements; The Approved Boating Basics Handbook. This manual is available to be ordered from TruCash (Deborah.Wilson@trucash.com).
All registered Sail Canada PCOC Instructors may download the PCOC Instructor Manual, Test Protocol and Approved Text & Graphics from the resource section of their Sail Canada instructor profile.
Important Links and Information
General PCOC Information
PCOC Instructor Information
2014 Instructor Registration
Credit Card Authorization Form
Agreement to destroy expired tests
Add your PCOC course to the Sail Canada Website
PCOC Instructor Manual
PCOC Materials Price List
PCOC Test Protocol
Transport Canada Approved Text and Graphics
Did you know that you can advertise your PCOC courses on the Sail Canada website? The public can search for Sail Canada PCOC courses in their area at www.sailing.ca. All you need to do is add your PCOC courses to your Sail Canada Instructor profile and they will be searchable at www.sailing.ca.
PCOC Instructors are required to register annually. You can register online through your Sail Canada Instructor profile or by mailing payment to Sail Canada; 53 Yonge St., Kingston, ON K7M6G4.
Sail Canada's PCOC card fulfillment is administered by TruCa$h Rewards:
Mississauga, Ontario L4W 5L6
Tel direct: 905-212-9512
Toll free: 1-800-624-6171 ext. 232
Attn: Deborah Wilson Deborah.Wilson@trucash.com
Questions about Sail Canada's PCOC Program can be directed to Genevieve Manning email@example.com.