Monday, July 22, 2013
The Nova Scotia Yachting Association is seeking applications for the position of Provincial Sailing Coach. The position will be based in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
To enable Nova Scotia sailors to achieve podium finishes at all levels, and ultimately to achieve podium results as a member of the Canadian Sailing Team.
· Develop and manage a recommended development pathway for Nova Scotia’s athletes in the sport of sailing. The recommended athlete development pathway will be based on the LTSD model. See here for more details on the LTSD Model.
· Educate Club Coaches, Instructors and Directors on the LTSD Model with special emphasis on athlete development at the earlier levels
· Implement the pathway at clubs across the province using available resources
· Improve the Province’s early development and retention of new sailors by working with sailing program directors, coaches and volunteers
· Coach NS athletes who are at the Train to Compete and Train to Win stages of the Sail Canada Long Term Sailor Development Model
· Set criteria for athletes to earn an invitation to join the Nova Scotia Sailing Team
· Organize training camps and coach at regattas
· Deploy NSYA and other resources to best meet the needs of athletes in the Province
· Promote podium performance at all levels of the development pathway
· Have sailing/coaching experience with race teams, as well as club level development teams
· Have experience developing and administering learn to race programming from beginner through to international levels
· Experience fostering the early development of sailing programs will be considered an asset
· Have excellent communication and motivational skills. Work well with others.
· Develop training and competitive programs for athletes
· Have excellent organizational and time management skills
· Ability to attain Sail Canada Competition Development certification within 12 months.
This position will be full-time with an anticipated start date of November 1, 2013.
$48,000 - $55,000 plus benefits
A comprehensive Medical and Dental benefits package will be offered.
All applicants are to submit a cover letter, resume, and a letter of intent outlining how they will meet the above objectives.
About the Nova Scotia Sailing Team
There are dinghy racing programs at 12 yacht clubs in Nova Scotia and more than 130 racers. Popular classes include the Opti, Laser, and 420 with the 29er, 4.7 and 2.4mr showing potential.
This position is partially funded by the Support 4 Sport Coach program.
Please submit application by Thursday, September 5, 2013 to:
Nova Scotia Yachting Association
5516 Spring Garden Road, 4th Floor
Halifax, NS B3J 1G6